I no longer place cute smiley face stickers on charts for finished books.
Given these two actions, what result would you predict?
Here's what it has meant for my class of 4th graders:
My students have read a total of 1,040 books since the beginning of this school year.
With a color printer and PowerPoint slide, they make a sign and post it outside our classroom for display. When teachers, parents, or administration visit, they all get directed to the sign and a conversation begins. I stand back proudly and think about how it all began.
![]() |
| This was our total in December. My students would be sure to tell you the number is higher now! |
I started with having my students read books of their choosing. I gave them time to read in class. I shared Donalyn's 40-book challenge: read 40 books by the end of the school year. We discussed the books they'd read, and with each conversation, I became more familiar with my students' preferences, interests, hopes, and challenges. Through mini-lessons, guided reading, and conferences, I supported their reading and gave them tools and strategies to use when they were on their own.
I surrounded them with books in our classroom library. It's just three tall bookcases filled with book-stuffed plastic shoeboxes, but it's a focal point in our class. So many times a day, my students and I head to the shelves in the corner and pull out a title for reference. So many times a day, students in pairs or groups do the same. I always know what my students are reading. And my students know what I'm reading because I read alongside them every day. They also know my own love of books and my never-ending need to acquire more, as I share my own reading life with them. (In class and at home, I read as many middle grade and picture books as I can. Because of that, I can usually recommend a good book to a reader on-the-spot.)
When students read their 40 books for the year, they don't stop there (just as Donalyn said!) But they do share the accomplishment with me, and we all celebrate together--with high-fives and cheers and admiration. Not once do they ask: What's my prize? I think it's because they know they've already earned it.
I don't know what the total will be in June. We might predict it! Or not. But on our way to the total, one thing is certain: we'll enjoy some really great books together.
(Donalyn Miller's blog is now a book, too. Read The Book Whisperer as soon as you can. I have three copies: one is signed by Donalyn, one is my working copy, and one is a copy I lend out.)

This is wonderful! Congratulations to both you and your class for such great reading achievements.
ReplyDeleteBeth, thank you for commenting and thank you for your kind words. I will share them with my class!
DeleteMy daughter's school does reading logs. I was wondering if you know of a research study that supports not using them in the class. I would like to present this to the school district to help encourage them to stop using them in first grade.
ReplyDeleteEric,
DeleteThanks so much for reading my blog and commenting! I truly appreciate it.
For more on reading logs, see The Book Whisperer pp.139-143. Donalyn makes great points there.I don't think logs give an accurate picture of what my students are reading at home. And they are reading. I would also send you to the Reading Rockets and Choice Literacy websites. There is great material there about this topic and others! Again, my gratitude to you for taking the time to comment!
Sounds like a great classroom. My 1st grade son has an amazing teacher whose room is filled with books and always has a new book or series to recommend to my son. She has nearly 30 kids in her class and yet knows my son well enough to be able to predict what he will enjoy. That has made all the difference to him. 1st grade is about a billion times better than kindergarten. I think she and you are rare teachers -- very valuable to your kids. I too try to avoid sticker charts, prizes, etc. for reading.
ReplyDeleteWow! Kudos to your son's teacher! She is starting those first graders off on the right foot. Inspiring! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for your kind words.
ReplyDeleteWhat great insights! I bet your love of books influenced your students to take on the challenge of reading those 40 books. I am a speech therapist and I surround my students with books too. They love to borrow mine even though they can get the same ones through the school library and often their classrooms. There is something special about sharing stories and books.
ReplyDelete