Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

So Many Books & Never Enough Time

I love books.

I love shoes.

I have more books than shoes.

In fact, if my books were pairs of shoes, I wouldn't have to worry about wearing the same pair twice for about a year. Or more.

With all the books I have, it may not make sense to some that I would acquire more.

Why am I going to the library for the second time this week when my TBR pile(s) are doing quite well on their own?

Why am I going to the bookstore when I already ordered some hard-to-find titles on Amazon?

It makes perfect sense to me.

If I read as many books as possible, then maybe I will find the one perfect book for that one student in my class that needs it.

If I read as many books as possible, then I can have an answer ready when a parent asks for a book recommendation at the library/bookstore/school.

If I read as many books as possible, I can then share them with our librarian and she can order them for our library and the whole school can enjoy it, too!

If I read as many books as possible, then I can recognize a good book when I see it and it will be easier to choose quality titles.

I just want to be ready for that next moment when a young reader at my school asks:

"Do you have any book recommendations for me?"

So these are the two books I'm reading now. One of them had been in my pile since our last book fair, and one came home with me today from the library.




100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson
Donalyn Miller wrote about this one, and if she writes about a book, I want to read it. Also, I've had The Dragon's Tooth in my stacks for a while (also written by N.D. Wilson), so when I saw the name, I knew I had to try it out. It's a fantasy/mystery that reminds me a lot of The Humming Room by Ellen Potter. When I finish this one, I'll write about it. (I was ECSTATIC to find out my library had it on the shelf waiting for me!)


An Accidental Adventure #1: We Are Not Eaten By Yaks by C. Alexander London
I picked this one up at the book fair. I am loving it so far. It's very entertaining and I love the writer's style.   

4 comments:

  1. Love your points for "If I read as many books as possible", reassuring for my obsession with the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I can never read enough!
      It was so kind of you to stop by! Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. For a guy, I'm pretty fond of shoes. Though I don't have many.

    I'm more fond of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so wonderful to finally find a blog of a teacher like me who LOVES sharing books with kids! You inspired me to request all the above books (and some others from previous posts) from my local library! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete