Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Once again, I am so grateful to Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts for hosting this weekly event! Last week was a busy one (deadlines, meetings, Open House!), and I didn't get to participate. But it is Spring Break for me, so I get to link up this time!

Here's what I've been reading:


Voices of the Alamo by Sherry Garland

Since last week was Texas Public Schools Week, and March 6th was the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo, we read this wonderful history picture book. In a timeline/journal format, we hear the voices of different people who lived around the Alamo and had a part in the history of Texas. My students knew the battle story, but now they know so much more. To complement, we wrote poems about the Alamo and built replicas, too!



One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo and illustrated by David Small

This was one of my Scholastic Book Fair purchases. Someone on Twitter mentioned it, so when I spotted the cover, it immediately went into my basket! It was such a fun book, reminiscent of Mr. Popper's Penguins (even mentioning Captain Cook). I know my 4th graders will love it. David Small's work is amazing! The drawings on each page are "Small" surprises for the reader.



Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie by Julie Sternberg

This cute book is on the Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List for 2012-2013. It's a sweet, endearing little chapter-book about a girl whose babysitter must move away, and the adjustments she makes (perfect for elementary--3rd grade on up).  Many of my students have already read it.

And then this weekend I finished this book:

Friendship Doll by Kirby Larson

I've had this book on my dining room TBR table since before the holidays, but it never felt like the right time to read it. I know why now! I was supposed to read Mighty Miss Malone first! Two of the characters in this book reminded me of Deza. This is a heartfelt, rich book full of stories centered around a doll named Miss Kanagawa. I also thought of The Miraculous Jouney of Edward Tulane when I read it.

Finally, I also read The Unfinished Angel by Sharon Creech. But I will post about that book tomorrow!

This week's reading:

The highlight of my Spring Break will be participating in #bookaday with Donalyn Miller (The Book Whisperer). My students and I made sure we had plenty of books for the week---making several visits to the school library and the book fair before it closed.

I hope to read these books: An Accidental Adventure #1: We Are Not Eaten By Yaks by C. Alexander London, Winterling by Sarah Prineas, and Countdown by Deborah Wiles.

I'm off to read! I hope you have a week filled with great books!

2 comments:

  1. It was such a treat to hear David Small read One Cool Friend himself at the Anderson's Children's Breakfast! It was cool how he explained that he really tried to put as much turtle-ness into the dad as possible. If you go back and look at the clues throughout the story it is obvious he loves turtles. :)

    I forgot about Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie. I read it with a student when it came out and then I think I gave the ARC to another. I thought it was a sweet story. Friendship Doll is great, you are right about being similar to Edward Tulane.

    I hope you enjoy We Are Not Eaten By Yaks! I love it and the sequel. So funny! Enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book-a-day is so much fun and I'll be participating when I have my break at the end of month.

    I cannot wait to read One Cool Friend- I love penguins! (And I love Jen's little tidbit about turtles above.)

    As for Pickle Juice, Friendship Doll and Yaks- I must read them too.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete