Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

It's Monday? What Are You Reading?


It's Monday, so that means I'm linking up with Kellee and Jen over at Teach Mentor Texts for "It's Monday What Are You Reading?" In this meme, we share what we have read the past week.

I finished reading 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson.

Then, because it was a Book Release Day, I headed straight to the bookstore and bought this on Tuesday:
I'd already read Fake Mustache, but I knew I needed to read Big Nate Goes for Broke before I shared it with my students. (I knew I wouldn't see it again for a while!)

My students are loving both books, and they are passing them around right now.
About Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger, one of my students said this: "This books is SO awesome!" That is what a teacher wants to hear!

I also read Kali's Song by Jeanette Winter and Drawing from Memory by Allen Say.
I thought Kali's Song was a very nice story about the power of music. It has wonderful illustrations, too.

I'm still reading An Accidental Adventure #1: We Are Not Eaten By Yaks  by C. Alexander London (and I am really enjoying it).

But while I am filling my days with great books, I am also thinking a lot about curriculum design and what it truly means to be a connected educator.
I followed a lot of the tweets from the ASCD conference in Philadelphia this weekend, and many of the speakers were sharing about the power of a PLN. It made me reflect upon my own successes in the classroom.  I know this blog is a step towards being connected.

I'm constantly thinking about these things. Hopefully, they'll become something I can share in a blog post soon.

4 comments:

  1. Did not realize until now that those too books were released! I was wondering why everyone was reading Fake Mustache this week- I feel so out of the loop- thank you!

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome!
      I see the same thing with Marty McGuire Digs Worms. Seems like everyone has that book but I haven't found it!
      Thanks for commenting! It's so nice of you!

      Delete
  2. I have never felt so connected as an educator with amazing people as I do now. Twitter completely changed my teaching life. It started with National Boards, when I was working on my Boards, I did so much professional reading and from there I found great people to follow on Twitter and to discuss everything I was reading. It was remarkable. I feel so different as a teacher now. I love it.

    I read 100 Cupboards but was left feeling like I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Which is good and bad...I want to read more, but I was bummed we didn't get much information after that first book.

    I can't wait to read Fake Mustache!!! I read the first few pages and it was really funny already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you about Twitter! It has DEFINITELY changed my teaching life, too! It's amazing to be able to learn from people all around the world.
      I hope you enjoy Fake Mustache! My kids think it's so funny and I have a feeling I won't get my copy back anytime soon. :)

      Thanks for your comment, Jen. You and Kellee rock!

      Delete