One of the very best parts of my day is when I have conferences with my readers during Reader's Workshop. I pull up next to them quietly, iPad in hand, and wait for them to notice I'm there. If they have a particularly good book, it will be a while for them to come out of the "reading zone" (as Nancie Atwell calls it).
If they have a book that's not a match, they already know I'm there and they really need a conference.
During today's conferences, I had many great moments:
One student said to me she'd love to try writing humorous pieces because she'd been reading this book:
Then I realized something very obvious, but still important. Independent reading helps writers develop their writing style!
During another conference, a student decided to write her own version of a poem she read in this book:
Realization: Reading inspires writing!
My conferences are very simple. I sit with a fellow reader, and we have a great conversation. (I try not to make it like a quiz!) During our conversation, we connect as readers, and I know immediately what my students will need next. It's on-the-go assessment!
These conversations have an impact on my class. But as you can see, they also have an impact on me.

No comments:
Post a Comment