Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Poetry Month Begins

This week, we are continuing our study of poetry. I had a really great poetry unit developed years ago, but after a chat about poetry from my book club friends on Twitter, I am rethinking that whole unit. First of all, it certainly didn't incorporate any technology! So it all has to be updated. Or completely changed!

Tomorrow my students will each search for a poem they enjoy. They will practice reading it and share it with the class on Friday.

We will celebrate our poems on Friday with a little treat! 

On Twitter, I got the idea to memorize a poem and share it with my class, too. So that is what I will do!

See, I've already made a rhyme.

I plan on creating a Poet-tree, writing a poem in front of my students, and helping my class gain an appreciation of poetry. (Along, the way, as we read poems aloud, we will no doubt increase our fluency!

One of the books my students love is this one by Bobbi Katz:

I also am planning a special in-school Skype session on Friday! Check my blog on Friday to find out what we did!
***********************************************************************
On another book note:

Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (#7) was released this week. I bought it, read it, and loved it! I'm sharing it with my class this week. Another funny book by Jarrett. J. Krosoczka! 

No comments:

Post a Comment