My winter break book-a-day was a success (31 books), and I read some wonderful titles! Here's some of what I read last week:
Birthday Room by Kevin Henkes
Junonia by Kevin Henkes
Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm (a current nominee for the Texas Bluebonnet Award)
Sugar and Ice by Kate Messner
Of these books, Turtle in Paradise and Sugar and Ice were my favorites.
When I returned to school with my students today, I brought my reading fervor into our Reader's Workshop, sharing my book total challenge of 600 books.
I began conferences with my students today about their reading over the winter break and their reading goals. One-on-one conferences help me get to know my readers. It's a great time to catch up and assist with book choice or vocabulary. I also was able to share a couple of new books I bought on winter break.
I also began our new read-aloud:
A Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole (I will post a review of this book this week.)
The writing is amazing. I'm using it to highlight word choice, conflict, and theme.
I hope my students love this book just as much as I do!
If you participated in Winter Break Book-A-Day, what were your favorites?
(My shoe choice today: comfortable black Rockport ankle boots.)





Oh my gosh, love the cover on A Nest for Celeste! Looking forward to your review.
ReplyDelete