As I read the Caldecotts, I share some with my students. Sometimes I will read the book aloud, or pass the book around during Reader's Workshop. The two titles I shared were The House in the Night (2009 Medal Winner-illustrated by Beth Krommes and written by Susan Marie Swanson) and Make Way for Ducklings (1942 Winner by Robert McCloskey). My students really enjoyed these books.
As we walked past the library one day last week, my students took note of the Newbery and Caldecott posters. In the hallway, we were having wonderful conversations about these awards and the criteria. And then several of my students were inspired to check some out themselves! We even went on a sort of scavenger hunt around the library, searching for book spine stickers (a great way to find Newbery and Caldecott titles).
This proves something I have always believed in: If I am excited as a learner, my students will be, too!
Now, I need to be just as excited about reading The Story of Mankind (Newbery Winner for 1922 by Hendrik van Loon). When I finish this, I will be so proud of myself (and so will my students)!
No comments:
Post a Comment