LOOKING BACK:
The year 2011 was the year I took charge of my own professional development as a teacher. Even though it took a month of my summer, taking part in the National Writing Project's Summer Institute was a milestone moment for me. And by blogging with my classroom, and connecting with other teachers on Twitter, I have gained more knowledge than I could ever find in any training module or speaker's notes. I've realized that my own PD needs can best be met if I seek the answer myself. I don't have to wait for a session or a speaker (although I've heard some wonderful ones). I can find the book, I can find the expert (most of the time it's another teacher), and I can learn by doing (and redoing, in some cases).
PEEKING AHEAD:
Now, I've taken charge of my own reading. I've always been a reader, and Goodreads tells me I've read a lot of books (29 on winter break #bookaday). Reading has ALWAYS been a major part of my life; I've always had a book on hand, and I've always had a stack of books waiting for me at home. But I was meandering down the reading road without a map.
In 2012, however, I am taking part in three reading challenges: The Newbery Challenge (hosted by Mr. Schu and Mr. Sharp), the Caldecott Challenge (hosted by LibLaura5 and Anna Z), and my own 2012 Goodreads book total challenge (daring myself to read a total of 600 books this year). I will be intentional about my reading. I have a destination.
I'll read to become a better person and a better teacher. Now, I will also read to recommend, and I'll share my reviews on this blog. I am even more excited about sharing these books with my students and my school.
And, I will also keep track of my latest shoe purchases. . .
It's Jan. 1, 2012. Isn't there a shoe store open somewhere?
No comments:
Post a Comment