Teachers have a lot of deadlines. They come in waves. Last week was an ocean for me!
Fortunately for me, my reading and my teaching went hand-in-hand. I was reading potential Caldecotts to my class and enjoying them very much (Grandpa Green, Little White Rabbit, and Press Here). My students and I had very deep discussions about these books. I was so pleased with the spontaneous comments they made. They were thinking deeply and expressing such clever opinions.
For my own Newbery/Nerdbery Challenge, I read Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. I am completely disappointed in myself for not having read it sooner. It is an excellent book with such rich characters. I highly recommend it. (But you have probably already read it!)
I have another reason for reading Bud's story. On Twitter, many were buzzing about The Mighty Miss Malone (also by Christopher Paul Curtis) which was released this past week. Deza, the main character, also appears in Bud, Not Buddy. I wanted to be able to continue the storyline with a fresh memory.
Currently I am reading Miss Malone's story, and by the time this post is published, I might very well be finished with it. I'm on page 194 at the moment, and I am finding it to be such a heartbreaking, rich, and incredible book. I have 5 stars for it. I know Miss Malone is worthy of them. (I'm hoping to have enough words in me to review it soon.)
This week will be another busy one with its own tides and waves. But hopefully, I will take the time to treat myself to a good book each night. My teaching will no doubt benefit. Of this I am sure.
(Coming in Tuesday's post: My recaps of Monday (a PD day with Tony Vincent from Learning in Hand), and Tuesday (our classroom Babymouse Celebration).



I feel like I'm being hit by crashing waves every week since coming back from winter break myself. I teach in special education so I've had lots of re-evaluations and reports to write. At least one each week and I feel like I'm barely keeping up. One tomorrow and then one more next week and then I can breathe for a bit. I'm excited to hear what wins awards next week. It will be fun. I don't think I've ever been as involved with the books and the awards as I am this year. It's exciting but at the same time, I know what I love and I know they don't always get it right. I'm excited for Miss Malone, glad to hear someone else likes it!
ReplyDeleteHave heard much about 'Miss Malone'. I'll have to put it on the list. I didn't know about the connection between it & Bud, Not Buddy. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize the main character of The Mighty Miss Malone was in Bud, Not Buddy. I'll have to reread Bud to try to find her before I read Malone. Thanks :)
ReplyDeleteHappy reading this week!