Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sugar and Ice: A Very Nice Book by Kate Messner



Sugar and Ice by Kate Messner
Published: Dec. 7, 2010
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
275 pp


During the winter break, I read Marty McGuire by Kate Messner. It is a sweet, fun book and it is being passed around right now in my class. Both boys and girls are reading it and love it!
Because I enjoyed Marty McGuire so much, I was happy to try Sugar and Ice. This book is more of a middle grade book with a deeper story.
Claire is a great ice skater from a small town. She comes from a close, hard-working family. When she is offered a fabulous opportunity to skate with a famous coach, she must make tough choices about friends, family responsibilities, and school. As she pursues her dream, she learns about who she really is, and about what is important to her. I enjoyed Kate's storytelling, the descriptions of the ice and pond, and the mood of the book. I cared about Claire as she took this journey. As I said in my Goodreads review, I thought the story sent a wonderful message about family and being true to who you are.

I really enjoyed this book. I think I know some students who will enjoy it, too!

(I read to find books for my students. So I must read every day and often!)

No comments:

Post a Comment