Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Week in Review

PICTURE BOOK GOLD!



Reading aloud is one of the best things a teacher can do to improve comprehension. I love to read aloud, and my students love to hear me read good books.  I usually start Reader's Workshop with a read-aloud (mostly picture books). When I find an amazing one that makes my class think, I call it PICTURE BOOK GOLD!

Extra Yarn is PICTURE BOOK GOLD! (Since we'd already read I WANT MY HAT BACK, my kids knew who Jon Klassen was!)
I read this book aloud to my students this week. When I turned to the page with Bear and Rabbit, the reaction was terrific! I let the conversations go on. Many insightful things were heard. I decided to capture the conversation in a Voicethread. (I'll post that here.)

MY NEW BOOK CLUB!

At our school, we have a 30-minute period on Fridays where each student participates in a club/activity of their choice. The teachers run the clubs. I decided to start a Jr. Nerdy Book Club!  It's open to every student in our grade level. I had an amazing response and my club is full! I'm not assigning a book, and I think that's the popularity of it! We had to have our 2nd meeting rescheduled because of a guest speaker, but we will meet this week, and I will share here.

No comments:

Post a Comment