I'd hear so much about this book, I couldn't wait until it was released to buy it.
I bought it. I read it. I loved it.
That book is:
![]() |
| THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN By Katherine Applegate |
It's about a gorilla and a baby elephant. Their friendship is sweet and the story breaks your heart. But it fills it, too----with glorious phrases and amazing storytelling. A group of animals live in a video arcade/mall, owned by Mack who hopes to make a profit by selling admission to view the animals. We hear the story of their lives in this 'cage' or 'domain' from Ivan, and we learn to love each animal character (and some of the humans who care for them).
The story is told with such grace and yet, such efficiency of word. I finished it in two sittings, and with each page I kept thinking this: my students will love this book.
Now, I am torn between sharing the book tomorrow to individual readers or making it my next read-aloud.
I love this book as much as I love The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis-- but in a very different way. (I know voracious readers will understand what I mean.)
Have you read The One and Only Ivan? What did you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment