Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

As I try to do every Monday, I am joining Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts for "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" Thanks to them for that oppportunity!

This past week was especially busy, especially since I was out two days presenting at a state conference. But when a book is really good, I will find a way -- and the time-- to read it. For me this week, those books were:


Matched by Ally Condie

And:



Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos--(2012 Newbery Winner)

Although these books won't be going in my elementary classroom library because they are Young Adult books, I enjoyed them very much. Dead End in Norvelt is outrageously funny, and Matched just really makes you think! I can hardly wait to read Crossed (#2 in the series). 

I took one book on my trip and I finished it on the way back. That book was:


Horton Halfpott by Tom Angleberger
This was a really funny middle grade Victorian-type mystery that has some great vocabulary words! Can't wait to share it with my class!

I also finished about 10 Caldecott winners yesterday and made a dent in one of my 3 book challenges.

I am currently reading three books:
Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart by Candace Fleming
The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon (can't seem to finish this one)
Zita the Space Girl by Ben Hatke (from the Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List for 2012-2013)

I am at home this week so I am hoping to get lots of reading done! It's my Valentine to myself.

6 comments:

  1. I'll check on Matched, have heard of it, but not much else. Amelia Lost keeps appearing too. Can't wait to read Norvelt, but have others to read first. Thanks for all your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Amelia Lost is a fascinating book. Thanks for commenting on my little blog!

      Delete
  2. Lots of good books! I just got Dead End In Norvelt on audio. I'm interested to read/hear it since it won the Newbery this year. Should be entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of books you have read although do want to read Dead End in Norvelt.

    With The Story of Mankind I totally identify, its sitting on 33% read for few weeks now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story of Mankind has been very slow-going for me. But I am determined to get it done. Eventually!

      Delete