Over the winter break, I read:
| Can We Save the Tiger? by Martin Jenkins illustrated by Vicky White Published 2011 by Candlewick Press |
I knew it would be a hit with my students because they absolutely love animals, and many are interested in saving endangered species.
But I didn't know realize---until I reread this past weekend----that it would also be a great mentor text for expository writing.
The tone of the writing is very engaging and authentic. My students were immediately hooked. Martin Jenkins connects with readers through conversation.
For example: "Still, I'm sure you'll all agree that tigers are pretty special."
None of my students could disagree with that.
(And Vicky White's illustrations are absolutely wondrous.)
My students passed the book around. It landed on desks surrounded by three or four students at a time. As pages were turned, questions were asked. Declarations were made! Connections to previously learned facts were established --all within the conversations of lively 4th graders who were completely hooked by a book.
I sat back and watched.
I've got to find more books like this.
(We found cause and effect in the text--as well as sequence. We documented our discussion using a Thinking Map (Flow Map to be exact).
No comments:
Post a Comment