Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Week's Winning Moments

At the end of a week, I look back to reflect.  Though it was busy, and there were many things to be done, I'm proud of what my class and I did together.


We started off the week with an author visit from Kimberly Willis Holt. She writes the Piper Reed series.  She gave our students lots of writing tips, but the one I most remember is this: "Special places bring us stories."

We also had our 2nd Mystery Skype with another 4th grade class from Massachusetts! My class guessed the state after five clues, and we had a great time making new friends. We realized that to have a proper Mystery Skype, each student should write their own clue so that are plenty of clues to share!


Another great moment came as I read Me. . Jane to my class. (I love this book by Patrick McDonnell, and my students did, too.) We were nearing the end of the book when a student suddenly called out, "I made a connection!" Music to my ears! This very observant student went on to share that Jane Goodall (the main character/subject of Me. . .Jane) was also mentioned in Marty McGuire by Kate Messner (something I'd completely forgotten). 

I love that my students tie one book to another. And I especially love that they are appreciating books as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment