The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Sunday, May 12, 2013
Review: TOUCH BLUE by Cynthia Lord
TOUCH BLUE by Cynthia Lord
Published: 8/1/10
Published by: Scholastic Press
We've all looked forward to events in our lives. Some of them turned out better than we hoped. Some of them turned out worse. Some of then turned out like nothing we ever expected.
That's what Tess experiences in this middle grade novel set in Maine. She has a great life on the island of Bethsaida, but the state of Maine wants to shut down her island school because of low attendance. So, as part of a plan to save the school, some of the families take in foster children, and Tessa's parents welcome Aaron into their home. Aaron is quiet and serious, and not at all the big brother Tess imagined. As everyone in the story tries to adjust to the change, Tess learns about herself and the importance of family. Aaron has his own lessons to learn, but he also shows Tess (and the townspeople) a little about themselves.
The writing is direct and captivating, taking you right into the heart of the story. As I read, I felt as if I were a citizen on Bethsaida watching the events play out. I was very glad to be there. I cared about the characters and wanted everyone to find their happy ending! I always do.
In TOUCH BLUE (MG), Cynthia Lord shows exactly why she is a Newbery Honor winner (for RULES in 2007). I highly recommend this title, as it came highly recommended to me from my friend in Maine who sent it to me! Thanks, Susan!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This seemed a little on the young side to me. I don't think my 8th graders would care for it, but could probably sell it to 6th graders, so it was interesting to hear a fourth grade perspective.
ReplyDelete