ONE CAME HOME by Amy Timberlake
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Publication date: 1/8/2013
Pages: 272
After you hear about a book from several people (my number seems to be 3), I usually want to try it out immediately--which means an emergency bookstore trip (if I don't already have it). That's what happened with ONE CAME HOME.
Georgina lives in Wisconsin in the late 1800's (a really fascinating setting for me) and she lives with her grandfather, mother and older sister Agatha. She has a great vocabulary, and she's headstrong, but she is very much unsure of her future and what she wants out of life. She admires sister Agatha very much. So when Agatha becomes missing, and a funeral is held (because a body has been found with the same dress fabric), Georgina refuses to believe her sister has died. The story becomes both a mystery and a journey.
Is Agatha's sister dead or not? Georgie goes on a treacherous journey to find out. The writing reveals the sadness of life on the prairie and the main character's self-reflections. There are many good scenes ( as in one with a cougar) and the further you get, the more you want to know.
This is considered a middle grade, probably appreciated more by middle school readers.
(Also, I didn't mention the pigeons, but many of them figure into the story.)
What did you think of this book?

I see an "emergency trip to the bookstore" coming up! Thanks for the intriguing review!
ReplyDeleteYour very welcome, Nancy! It's a very good book that will give you lots to think about! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteHistorical books don't go over well with my students unless they have something else-- the mystery in this may make it popular. I have it on reserve now because I, too, have seen it several places.
ReplyDeleteI liked this title a lot, though I agree that it felt more middle school to me! I do love that spunky Georgie, though!
ReplyDelete