Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Review: Laugh With the Moon by Shana Burg


LAUGH WITH THE MOON by Shana Burg
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Publication date: 6/12/2012
Page: 256
 
Clare's mother has died, and her father (a doctor) is taking her to Malawi where he will work in a hospital. Leaving her friends and school, Clare is bitter about moving and is still very much in grief over the loss of her mother. Living in a strange place and far from the comforts of Boston, Clare must adjust to a new school (very different from her American school), a new language, and new ways of doing things (sleeping with a mosquito net, no lunch at school). She forms friendships with the local children, including a girl named Memory-- who has also suffered loss. Their bond becomes part of what gives this story its richness. While putting us right in the middle of the Mzanga Full Primary School (a very memorable part of the book for me), Shana Burg guides us beautifully through Africa by way of Clare's compelling narration. The differences in culture, language, and setting are paired with the similarities all people feel as they lose those they love.

This book is one of those books you must read non-stop and straight through. With Clare's story, and Memory's example, Shana Burg not only composed a great story for readers, but she also provides an experience that will remain long after. It brought to mind the summer in which I read ONE FOR THE MURPHYS and SMALL AS AN ELEPHANT (two other books I also recommend).

It's on the Texas Bluebonnet Master List for 2013-2014, and Shana Burg is a Texas author.  You can see why I had to read this book!

There's an author's note (Burg really did visit Malawi), glossary, and recipe at the end of this book. Don't bypass these wonderful additions; I love when authors give us treats at the end of the book!







1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to read this books ever since I read this post http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2012/06/guest-post-giveaway-shana-burg-on-laugh.html Thank you for reminding me about it with your lovely review.

    ReplyDelete