But as I start to pull down items and pack them up, an email from a friend has me thinking about my classroom library. My friend, also a 4th grade teacher, recently asked me how my library was organized. As I typed my email response, I thought I would share it here. It is, after all, the last classroom library I will ever set up.
First, I buy clear plastic shoeboxes which are available at most stores for dollar or a little over. (I save the lids for later.)
Next, I apply labels I have printed. I buy labels (nametags) that go with my theme. I use these categories:
- historical fiction
- mysteries
- realistic fiction
- Texas Bluebonnet Award nominees (past and present)
- Newbery Medal
- Caldecott Medal
- humor
- animal fiction
- fantasy
- adventure
- classics
- school/friendship
- graphic novels (right now I have 6 boxes of these)
- Series (39 Clues, Infinity Ring, Lightning Thief, Boxcar Children, Magic TreeHouse, Weird School series, Lemony Snicket, Babymouse, Lunch Lady, Big Nate, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and more!)
- By author: (Sharon Creech, Kirby Larson, Andrew Clements, Jenni Holm, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, C.A. London, Peg Kehret, and more!. )
My categories/genres have changed each year with each class, and with the new offerings each year, adjustments are necessary. I retire some genres/categories, and multiply others (i.e. graphic novels). I keep up with what's available, I read everything I can, and I pay attention to what my students are bringing in to read on their own. Eventually, a student will ask if they can put together a box for class favorites. I don't ever have to bring this up. It's true that as my students grow in their ability/tastes, we work together to curate OUR collections. Yes, it's a classroom library filled with worn paperbacks, and food-stained pages ;-) , but to my 4th graders and me, these books have become the basis for rich discussion, interaction, collaboration, and connections.
I will have to pack up this classroom library very soon. And now that I have written this post, I realize that I learned so much from it--and that this learning will serve me well in my new destination!
This is my BEFORE picture. (As I sorted the stacks, I slowed down my own work because I stopped to read favorite books I hadn't seen in awhile.)
This is the AFTER. But as the year progresses, things DO get moved around a bit!
How do you organize your classroom library? (Notice I didn't talk at all about checkouts! That's for another post!)


Your library looks wonderful. Clear baskets are truly the way to go to create a cohesive look. I'd love to take all those books off your hands and put them in my class. It takes a long time for new teachers to collect so many books.
ReplyDelete