Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

So Simple!

 
 
I have a good size classroom library. Actually, the picture above was taken at the beginning of the year, and since then my book collection has grown. By a lot.

But not all of the books get read. The new ones do. So do the graphic novels. Or the popular series like HEROES OF OLYMPUS or BABYMOUSE or NERDS or others.

I do weed my library every now and then, but for the most part, I don't part with books.

Recently, I browsed my own classroom library and came across my Boxcar Children books. I realized my students weren't reading these at all, and having just reread Surprise Island, I thought I neee to do something about that.

So I grabbed a couple of them, and talked to my class about them. I hadn't prepared anything. I just told my students why I thought the books were interesting. I read the first page. Then I surveyed my class about them. I found out that very few of my students had seen the books even though they had been in the library since the first day of school! (They tend to reach for the newer ones and ignore the rest.)

After I talked about a few of them, the results were immediate. Several students walked up and pulled a few Boxcar books out and took them to their seats. One student asked if she could go to the library to see the whole collection. By the end of the day, half of the collection had been checked out.

Students won't be aware of  the literature until we tell them about it. We can't expect them to read it just because it's on the shelf. Some books will need our "stamp of approval".

I will champion all good titles to my students. And I will continue to buy the new titles as much as my budget allows. But I also promise to keep older favorites in circulation and book talk their goodness so that readers don't miss out on a great potential read!

What favorites are being overlooked in your library? How do you promote them?

5 comments:

  1. I just book talked the Boxcar books to my third graders recently! Have you seen the graphic novel editions, or the oldies with new covers? My students live for book talks, and I love when they begin taking on as much of the role of book talkers as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Nicole! I have seen the Boxcar books with the new covers, and I think I need to buy more of them. I have also seen the GNs, but haven't purchased them yet. Love that your kids are the book talkers! That is the ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your library seems much like my own. Some real gems get buried among all the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me to search through my library for some books that need some new readers! Will be finding one or two on Monday to talk up before we go to Media! Perhaps this will be a new addition to my class schedule on Mondays.

    Thanks for the great reminder and idea.

    I really enjoy your blog!

    Best,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the first Boxcar Children book, but was lukewarm about the others. My own personal children liked them in the 4th grade or so. I highly recommend picking up a biography of Warner-- interesting lady!

    ReplyDelete