Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

On Mondays, I join Jen, Kellee, and some teacher/librarian/blogger friends of mine to write about what we've read the previous week. I really love this meme! (If you don't know what it is, just know that you are reading one right now!) Hope you can pick up some great book titles. Make sure you visit Teach Mentor Texts  !

This past week was hyper-busy for me. (Read below to see why.) However, I did finish the ARC of this wonderful book:


I stayed up late reading it on a few nights. I love when a book does that to you.
The Runaway King is Book 2 in the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer Nielsen. If you haven't read THE FALSE PRINCE, do so as soon as you can because it is highly awesome! I'll blog about RUNAWAY KING as time draws nearer to its release on March 1st, 2013.

This week, I found myself mainly reading informational text.  I read to learn, and I read to be prepared. Reasons? I was attending and presenting at the TCTELA Conference in Dallas this week, and my semester of library school started Monday. Just about every spare minute went to prep work or study.

Here's what I'm reading:


I mainly have online material to read for my library school courses, but I do have 3 textbooks. This is one of them. I have questions to focus on (sent by my professor), and although that will help me read it,  I'm also MOTIVATED to read it. (I am curious about how libraries acquire and maintain their collections.) Question: is reading easier when you are motivated and have a purpose? Answer: For me, yes.


I'm also reading a periodical. I'm headed to ALA Midwinter this week, so I'm reading my latest issue of American Libraries. I want to know what I should be on the lookout for, and I don't want to miss anything while I'm there. Also, the coffee and conversation pairing drew me in on this one. I will read it cover to cover because it's filled with interesting articles. Am I motivated to read this one, too? Yes. I have a purpose: plan a great conference!



My fiction selection this week is NAVIGATING EARLY by Clare Vanderpool (author of MOON OVER MANIFEST.) Many of my Twitter friends have recommended this one. I'm a little slow in reading it.  I gave it a chance (about 20 pages), and I now I'm invested in the story. Reason for reading: Wanting to talk about it with friends!

 
 
My next selection goes under the topic of professional development.
While attending TCTELA, I had the privilege of meeting and listening to Cris Tovani--a literacy leader I have always admired. Her videos on conferring are very helpful to watch. She's honest and inspiring, and she gives practical advice for assessing reading. I want to get better at conferring, and I want to assess my students in the best possible way. Reason for reading this book: helping my students.
 
After hearing Cris Tovani, I am thinking more about how I read nonfiction. She spoke about how "talking to the text" helps readers comprehend the material. I definitely "talk to the text" now, and if it works for me, it will work for my students.
 
On a shoe note:
I packed 5 pairs of shoes for my conference this week. Mainly, I wore boots. These gray suede booties were my favorites:
 
 
 
What are you reading?
 


4 comments:

  1. My entire family is keen to read The Runaway King and counting down to its release. We listened to The False Prince on audio this summer and are all fans! Lots of professional reading for you - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Navigating Early great? I agreed, it took me a bit to get into, but then I was hooked. I've had to put it away for the moment, for "real life gets in the way" reasons, but it's on my Kindle, just waiting for me!

    Maria @novalibrarymom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to get into The False Prince series, but just haven't yet. I just finished Navigating Early and loved it. I am intrigued by your professional reads, I am not familiar with the titles. I am reading Book Love finally and really like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At your suggestion, I am reading the False Prince and love it. Will finish it tomorrow night. So thrilled to know there will be another in the series. My only regret is that I purchased it for my Kindle so I can not pass it along to my students - Oh well, I guess, I'll just buy a copy for the classroom!

    Thank you for inspiring us all with your reviews!

    ReplyDelete