Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


On Mondays, I join fellow #nerdybookclub bloggers Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts  to share what we've read throughout the week. I love this meme because it is another great reading community. 

This week was back to school for me! It was great to see my students again! Of course our discussions led to what we did and read over the winter break. Also, we sat together and set new book goals for the year! Having these conversations enriched me as a reader and a teacher, too!

So, my new reading goal is 700 books (up 100 from last year). I didn't make much progress on this goal this week, but I did read some wonderful books. I also made a little bit of a dent in my Newbery Challenge!

This week, I read these picture books:

KEL GILLIGAN'S DAREDEVIL STUNT SHOW by Michael Buckley
BEAR IN UNDERWEAR by Todd Goldman
NEVILLE by Norton Jester
ICE PALACE by Deborah Blumenthal
BUSY NIGHT by Ross Collins
CAMILLA THE CUPCAKE FAIRY by Tim Bugbird

Graphic novels:
EXTREME BABYMOUSE by Jenni Holm

Newbery Winners:

Missing May
goodreads.com
MISSING MAY by Cynthia Rylant: Winner for 1993

Shiloh
goodreads.com


SHILOH by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor: Winner for 1992

A Year Down Yonder
goodreads.com
A YEAR DOWN UNDER by Richard Peck: Winner for 2001

All three of these distinguished books were winners for me, too! The writing and characters were incredible and I finished them fairly quickly. I had read SHILOH a long time ago, but in this second reading, I found myself appreciating it in a new way.

Participating in the Newbery Challenge has not been easy for me.  I've been selective about my choices. But readers can do that! It seems I have given myself permission to pick & choose. The point is that I have been reading the Newbery books. The reading is the point. Always.

I start back to library school this week, so I will have to make adjustments to my reading schedule. I'm anxious to see how I do that!

What have you been reading this week?




7 comments:

  1. Great work! I need to begin reading the Newbery books again, kind of lost steam for a few months. :) And I adored Kel Gilligan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that someone else is doing the Newbery Challenge in a different way - me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'm reading the Book Thief. My daughter and I are reading lots of picture and board books.

    I used to teach fourth grade and remember these titles so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read some beautiful Newbery winners this week. I love Missing May, so sweet. And Richard Peck always writes a good read. Best wishes for a good week back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed those 3 Newbery's too. My copy of Missing May was softer, all pastel colors. I think I like the more vibrant picture of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Newbery books! I'm working my way through them all - which has certainly built my appreciation for the ones I really like :)

    Kel Gilligan rocked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also been selective in my Newbery reading. Missing May was my last one and I need to get back into it. Too many new books I want to read.

    ReplyDelete