On Mondays I join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts in a meme about the reading we've done throughout the week. Make sure you visit their great blog and see what others are reading this week, too!
Before I write what I've read this week, I have to do a little goal talk:
There's been a lot on Twitter this week about reading goals. Goals have always been essential to everything I do. Goals give me the motivation I need to achieve impossible (and possible) things. I don't always reach them, but I always set them with good intentions! I would never have achieved certain things had it not been for intentional planning. So I emphasize goal-setting with my students, and I share my own goal-setting with them. We set reading goals together weekly, as well as a yearly goal of 40 books (although sometimes this number can certainly be raised as needed).
I believe teachers must be readers if we have any hope of encouraging reading in our students. So I read every day, and I try to read a lot. I set a number to it this year on Goodreads: 600 books for 2012. I accomplished this by reading at every opportunity, watching less TV, spending lots of time in the library, and carrying a book with me just about anywhere (on my iPad or phone, too). I don't have the magic formula for reading. I just read.
So this year, I will share the accomplishment of my goal with my students. And then we will set the goals for the year. Together!
| from goodreads.com |
| from goodreads.com |
This week I read 13 books:
Graphic Novels:
Amulet 5: The Last Council by Kazu Kibuishi
A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel by Hope Larson
YA:
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Newbery:
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
Early Readers/Chapter Books:
Lulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst
Stat by Amare Stoudemire
Like Bug Juice on a Burger by Julie Sternberg
MG:
The Hidden Gallery (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2)
Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson
Picture Book:
Heart and Soul by Kadir Nelson
Professional Development:
The Joy of Planning: Designing Mini-Lesson Cycles in Grades 3-6 by Franki Sibberson
I plan to introduce Lulu and the Brontosaurus and The Hidden Gallery to my students this week.
| from goodreads.com |
This week I will read The Peculiar By Stefan Bachmann and (hopefully) The Cloak Society by Jeramey Kraatz.
What are you reading?

Love the Incorrigibles! I can't wait for the next book!
ReplyDeleteoh, what did you think of Ask the Passengers? I think that will be my next YA book. I've heard it's good and I've liked King's other novels.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great week of reading. I love Roth's series. I just ordered Cloak Society. It looks fun. I will be interested to find out what you think of it.
ReplyDeleteLOVED The Cloak Society. Less thrilled with Jacob I have Loved. Looks like you had a lot of variety this past week!
ReplyDeleteWhew!!
ReplyDelete"carrying a book with me just about anywhere " - this really is the key, isn't it? I make my boys always take a book along. Added bonus? Quiet rides in the car.
I loved Cloak Society a lot - and so did my 10 year old son.
Jacob Have I Loved is one of my favorite Newbery books. I can't wait to get to that one! I haven't done them in order, I don't think I would have survived that task. But I'm almost done the 50s...
We have a few books in common. i am currently reading Like Bug Juice... and just finished Heart and Soul- so beautiful. I am hoping to find A Wrinkle in Time, I have heard so much about it. What a great week you had!
ReplyDeleteMy son got The Cloak Society for Christmas so I also plan to read it soon. You did some great reading this week! I read Ask the Passengers recently too. Did you like it?
ReplyDeleteWhat a goal, Cynthia. It's great you're going to share with students too. I love Hear and Soul, and it's beautiful to see also. Thanks & best wishes!
ReplyDeleteOooh! The Cloak Society looks like a good pick for my boys! I'll need to check it out. Thanks!!
ReplyDelete