Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Right Shoe

 
 
Recently on Twitter, one of my awesome Tweeps posted a great picture collage of her favorite shoes. THAT gave me the idea for this blog post. (I must tell you from the beginning that this post WON'T be exclusively about shoes.) It will eventually lead to reading. I assure you.  
 
I made the above pic using Pic Collage on my iPad. It shows 3 pairs of shoes from my closet. The black boots have a higher heel. I wear those only for nice, dressy kinds of events or days where I don't need to do a lot of walking. My sneakers are shoes I must wear because I wear them to walk/run, and that is something positive & healthy I'm doing for myself. The cowboy boots are, however, my favorites! Not only are they comfortable, but they work with just about any outfit. In Texas, that's what we do!
 
So this made me think of the genres I read. I have a favorite genre, and I could probably read that every day or many days in a row. However, sometimes I really feel like picking up a book that's a bit uncomfortable at first, but that I really do enjoy once I read further.  Finally, there are genres I don't really prefer at first, but reading them improves my reading fitness. I feel stronger after reading them.
 
Back to the shoes: I also realize that no one bought the sneakers for me and told me to start wearing them. I picked them up for myself because I knew I should and others around me do so. I've connected with fellow teacher runners, and they inspire me to put mine on and get moving! Each time I put them on, I feel better in them. I'm just wondering if the same principle could apply with genres students don't prefer to try on their own.
 
Those heeled boots are always in my closet. I know when it's time to wear them. When I do, I adjust for the higher heel by walking on certain surfaces only, or sitting more! When I read a genre I like but don't read as often, I adjust for that, too. I'll sit up in my chair when reading lengthier works that require more attention.
 
Waiting for me always, though, are my cowgirl boots: that comfy genre in which I can completely relax! If someone took away my cowgirl boots, I'd be a very sad Texas gal.
Likewise, if someone told me I had to stop reading my favorite genre, I'm sure I'd be unhappy about it.  
 
I believe the different genres work together to improve my reading. But I didn't start off reading them all. It took me time to pick up good habits, and try new things.  
 
I'm not sure if I've figured out the solution to getting our students to try and like different genres, but I know I'm thinking about it. These random thoughts may not even apply to you, but to me, the shoe analogy makes a lot of sense.
 
What are your favorite genres? How do you encourage students to try new one?
 









1 comment:

  1. Great post to read this morning Cynthia. I love the shoe-reading metaphor. I usually tell my students about the time I read a book that I thought was way out of my preferred genres....Harry Potter. I read it as a challenge when I was teaching 5th grade to see what the fuss was about. I did not typically read a lot of fantasy. If you see my profile pic, you can see how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete