Here's what I read this week:
Yes, I got serious about my reading.
My favorites:
BOOK LOVE by Penny Kittle (professional development)
This book makes so many great points about the importance of students AND teachers having a "reading life". I highly recommend it for any teacher who cares about WHAT and HOW MUCH and IF their students read!
EVERY DAY by David Levithan (Young Adult)
This is a great young adult book about an incredible happening--that keeps happening. I couldn't put it down. I read it during a very busy week at school. I stayed up late reading it. David Levithan is an amazing writer.
CREEPY CARROTS by Aaron Reynolds (Peter Brown, illustrator)
It's a fun story that my students loved! It's one of my new favorites.
A BALLOON FOR ISABEL by Deborah Underwood
This isn't a new book, but I just discovered it by pulling books out randomly from shelves. Isabel is a porcupine who thinks creatively! I loved it and I can't wait to buy my own copy. (It was on the Texas 2 X 2 Master List for 2011 compiled by the Texas Library Assocation. Thanks to Melanie for that info!)
I'm glad I got a lot of reading done this week. I think a goal really moves me forward.With the end of the year FAST approaching, it's important to look back and reflect. But I still have time to get some things done. I still can bring change, produce something, or cause an effect. Just because the end of the year is here doesn't mean I sit back and wait for it to come.
I will also ask my students to reflect and make their own plan for moving forward, both in their reading and their learning. And then we will see together what we can do!
My 2012 reading goal is 600 books. So far, I have read 487.
I have 28 days.
I can do this.






Cynthia, wow! Your reading is fantastic this week! I am impressed and also completely convinced you can meet that goal. My goal was 500 books and I recently met it. Next year, I am planning to up the goal so I am interested in watching those at this crunch time to see just how motivating that goal can be. I believe it is big! I also loved Creepy Carrots. It is a favourite in my room too. Happy reading this week!
ReplyDeleteThe Christmas Gift and Looking at Lincoln are two of my favorite new titles from the past year. That being said, I've never heard of A BALLOON FOR ISABEL. Seeing as my daughter is Isabelle (spelled with an extra l-e), I'm excited to learn about this find.
ReplyDeleteAND, thanks to Mentor Texts, I'm excited to find your blog. This is my first visit and I expect to be visiting again soon.
Thanks for your commitment to picture books!
Wow! So many great books. I am a 4th grade teacher in Maine. I just added your blog link to my blog, it's awesome!
ReplyDeleteMany good books in the picture, Cynthia! I love Kalman's Looking At Lincoln. It's so beautiful. I've got to read Creepy Carrots-sounds fun! And the Carpenter's Gift is very sweet. Best to you in your big goal!
ReplyDelete