The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Note to Self: Clean Out Closet!
This holiday season is going by quickly. So many things I want to do! Organize my study, clean out my closets, etc., etc. I'll also do some lesson planning, and probably learn a lot of good things on Twitter, too.
But I think the best gift I will give myself this break is getting to know myself as a reader again. I have the time to stay up late, read all night, explore the library, go to the bookstore (again), abandon books, reread books, etc., etc.
Although I do read during the school year, I don't have the time to reflect or see where my reading is taking me.
Yes, I will have the time to respond to books in my notebook, try out a new genre, take up a colleague on that book recommendation, and weed out my personal library. I will have the time to look at my "book gaps" and meet them. I'll have the time to look back at the reading I've done and pat myself on the back for it, or promise to do better. I'll reaffirm some reading commitments (Newbery/Caldecott Challenge), complete my reading challenge*, and set a new reading goal for 2013.
Another plus? I will have the luxury of going to the bookstore and library in the same day. THAT is a gift.
Yes, I'll organize that study, and those closets will get cleaned out. (THAT will be a lot of work.)
But first, I'll do some reading.
*As of this post, I am 11 books away from completing my 2012 Goodreads Challenge for number of books read. Back on Jan. 1st, 2012, I set 600 books as my goal. I'm almost there, and I won't stop.
*Also, I took the time to order myself a pair of black sparkly Toms slip-ons. I know myself as a shoe-shopper, too. ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hello! I stumbled upon your blog today and am excited to check it out. I am also a 4th grade teacher and your newest follower!
ReplyDeleteBethany
FabandFunin4th!