On Mondays, I join Jen and Kellee at their blog Teach Mentor Texts. Here, we share the books we've read over the past week, and we also list the books we plan to read. Thank goodness for this meme. It helps me stick to a blogging schedule!
Well, since my class is over, and I am on winter break along with my students, I have a lot more time to read. This works our perfectly because I have a lot of BOOKS to read.
Sequels to favorite first installments. Nerdy Book Club Award nominees. Young Adult books everyone's been raving about. Upcoming titles that are future favorites!
But before I make any plans, I should give you the rundown of the books I added to my READ shelf. These added titles were the result of lots of trips to the circulation desk at our library. Each morning, I'd stack the books on a table in my classroom, and then, like clockwork, my students were drawn to the stack, too. They read the titles first and gave me little book talks about each one. It was unplanned, but totally wonderful.
Here are the Goodreads pics of the books I read last week:
I know the pics are small, so here is the breakdown:
Picture Book faves:
DINOSAUR VS. SANTA by Bob Shea
HOW DO DINOSAURS SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS? by Jane Yolen
FLETCHER AND THE SNOWFLAKE CHRISTMAS by Julia Rawlinson
BUNNY CHRISTMAS: A FAMILY CELEBRATION by Rick Walton
I'M NOT SANTA! by Jonathan Allen
THE SNOWMAN by Raymond Briggs
HOME FOR BIRD by Philip C. Stead
I checked all of these books out, but I'd buy every one of them. I'd been wanting to read A Home for Bird for a while, so that was one of my book treasures yesterday!
GRAPHIC NOVELS:
TEEN BOAT! by Dave Roman (YA)
DORK DIARIES #5 TALES FROM A NOT-SO-SMART MISS-KNOW-IT-ALL By Rachel Renee Russell. This was a gift from a 5th grader (former student). How awesome is that? Kids buying ME books!)
CHAPTER BOOKS:
SPRINKLES AND SECRETS by Lisa Schroeder (Loved it! Recommended by student)
SOUNDER by William H. Armstrong (Part of my Nerdbery Challenge. Wow! The writing in this book is powerful!)
THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ME by Karen Rivers (YA & entertaining, but also very touching as it is also the story of a family living with autism.)
WHAT I WANT TO READ:
INSURGENT by Veronica Roth
And a whole bunch more! I usually don't know what I will read until I pick up the book.
Throughout the next two weeks I will read to meet my challenge*, and I'll also take part in Holiday Bookaday, reading as much as the holidays and life allow.
*Goodreads Challenge update: Now only 17 books away from 600, I have read 583 titles in 2012.
What are YOU reading?




Go! Go! Go! You are definitely almost there and the holidays are on your side. Sounds like a lovely last week with your class. Thanks for sharing! I agree with you about A Home for Bird. So lovely.
ReplyDeleteam definitely going to add a few to my list to read with my 4th and 1st grader ..
ReplyDelete17 more to go !! that is great:)