It's Monday! What are you reading? I'm asking the question along with Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts! I join them every Monday in this meme.
Here's what I read this week!
It was the last week of my grad class, so with two assigments due, I stuck to picture books. My middle grade chapter books are waiting! I'm halfway through THE UNWANTEDS by Lisa McMann, and I am loving it!
My two favorites were:
FIFTY CENTS AND A DREAM by Jabari Asim (illustrated by Bryan Collier)
Wow! That's what I said to myself as I read this book. I turned the pages and noticed brilliant things Bryan Collier had done with the illustrations. Booker T. Washington's story of perseverance resonated with me. I was inspired, and thought that this nonfiction book was superbly done. I will be coming back for more and plan to reread this again and again. I can see it addressing so many aspects of writing. Still thinking about it!
Give yourself a holiday gift and buy your own copy.
DRAGONS LOVE TACOS by Adam Rubin (illustrated by Daniel Salmieri)
I'm about to help you spend your money again! DRAGONS LOVE TACOS is funny and clever, and it's one I will use in Writer's Workshop for circular leads and endings. It's great for elaboration, too. It's got a little surprise that made it a very smart book in my opinion! I immediately recommended it to my librarian.
This week I will finish THE UNWANTEDS, and then pick up something else from my TBR piles such as:
- Boy 21 by Matthew Quick OR
- Cloak Society by Jeramey Kraatz
I'm off to read now! I have read 510 books toward my 2012 Challenge of 600 books. My students think I can do it! I can't let them down.
What are you reading?




Ohhhh, these picture books look great! I just need to park it in Barnes & Noble one day and read a ton of books from the shelves, lol.
ReplyDeleteI HIGHLY suggest that you read BOY21 next. It is fabulous; one of my favorite reads of the year.
IMWAYR
Some beautiful picture books. Time Flies is an older favourite of mine. I am SURE your students will be cheering you on to get to that goal! You are getting closer! Good luck
ReplyDelete