Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Our Very Own Mock Caldecott

I love reading picture books to my class. They're great for writing lessons and reader's workshop. Plus they're just fun!

In particular, I've been very interested in the Caldecott winners.



 After I attended the Youth Media Awards last January, I became very interested in both the Caldecott and Newbery books. (Though I'm working slowly, I'm trying to read all of the winners on both lists--which I know will take me FOREVER.)

This year, I read some 2012 picture books to my class. My students loved them, so I thought I'd have a Mock Caldecott in my class this year. I'd heard about it on Twitter, but really had no model to follow. Here's how it worked:

First, my students did some research on the award itself. Then we explored our library for previous winners. I had my students come back and share their research with the class. Then I asked them if they'd like to have a Mock Caldecott, and they shouted with an eager "Yes!!" I had them figure out how we should go about the process.

First, they chose 12 titles for consideration. I'm including my students' comments about each book:

Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman & Dan Yaccarino
  • "People love the pictures and the book!"
This is Not My Hat  by Jon Klassen
  • "The pictures are creative & show texture."
Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds & Peter Brown
  • "These carrots were creepy."
C.R. Mudgeon by Leslie Muir & Julian Hector
  • "We like how the pages show the difference between the two characters."
Homer by Elisha Cooper
  • "The illustrations were wonderful!"
Hello! Hello! by Matthew Cordell
  • "The pictures are bright and vibrant."
Seed by Seed by Esme Raji Codell and Lynne Rae Perkins
  • "We like how the pictures take the reader from the past to the present and back again!"
Dragons Love Tacos by Daniel Rubin and Adam Salmieri
  • "We thought this book was very funny."
The Insomniacs by Karina Wolf and The Brothers Hilts
  •  "The pictures are dark and cool."
Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems
  • "When we read this book to our kinder friends, they noticed things we didn't."
Duckling Gets a Cookie by Mo Willems (Please notice he had TWO titles on our list!)
  • "This book is so fun!"
One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo and David Small
  • "This book didn't have many colors but that's why it was great."
I paired everyone up, and they drew for book titles. Each pair created a presentation for the class that would "sell" their book. These were great to watch! My students made wonderful observations about the books. For example, they noticed that in some of the books EYES told the story (the Mo Willems titles and This Is Not My Hat). Awesome!

A student created and printed a ballot, and then everyone (except me) voted.

I tabulated the results and announced them on Edmodo.

So, here are the winners!

4A's Mock Caldecott Award goes to:



The Honors winners were:

and:


Throughout the process, my students were planning, thinking critically, collaborating, and problem-solving. I enjoyed watching them work together towards a common goal. It wasn't perfect, but we ALL learned something. I was so proud of my class!

At the end of the day, I realized something. I didn't need someone else's model anymore. I could follow my own!

Which book would be your winner?

2 comments: