Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Picture Book Month

I know it's a little hard to see this picture, but what's important is this:

 
 
It represents the collective work of my students for about a month. We celebrated Picture Book Month in November. I learned about it on Twitter and decided it was a good goal for my students to work towards. My students love to read picture books already, and I love sharing them. So, all we had to do was count them and keep track of totals.
 
Week 1: 155
Week 2: 187
Week 3: Thanksgiving (We weren't in school this week, so we didn't keep track. )
Week 4: 88 (Lots of things going on at school this week, but still a good amount.)
 
I had volunteers who were ready to keep track and ask other students for their totals. They tallied and totaled. They created this chart for all to see.
 
We worked as a class to accomplish this, mostly by sitting in the library and reading picture books together. I didn't have to do very much except introduce the challenge and provide the reading time.
 
Our grand total was 430 books! I am so proud of my class. 
I confirmed this belief: Students enjoy meeting a challenge, working towards a goal, and working on something together that's connected to the real world.  Along the way, we talked about many aspects of reading: how illustrations tell stories, how the title of a picture book is so important, an author's choice for size of text and more!
 
What makes this even better is that Picture Book Month was a great lead-in for our Mock Caldecott voting in December. By this point, students are good judges of what makes a good picture book.
 
 
We ended Picture Book Month by reading ONE COOL FRIEND by Toni Buzzeo and illustrated by David Small. It's such a fun book!
 
This week, we'll be discussing our favorite picture books as we begin our Mock Caldecott. Read my blog next week to see what picture books are 4A's favorites!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment