Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Creativity: The Four Cs & My Own Practice

In our classroom yesterday, as part of NaNoWriMoYWP (National Novel Writing Month), we had a great class discussion on the topic of creativity. I asked my students about what it meant to them and here's what they said:
  • "It brainstorming."
  • "It's about coming up with things no one has thought of."
  • "It's about getting ideas."
  • "It means solving a problem in a new way."
  • "I think it means doing different things."
  • "It means thinking of something on my own."
  • "It means using your imagination."
Our campus is focusing on the Four Cs: creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. So this topic is timely. And while we were discussing it as it applies to writing a novel (which requries a lot of creativity), it could also apply to teaching and my own practice.

Brainstorming: How often do we (as teachers) brainstorm? We ask our students to do it a lot. When I give myself quiet time to think through topics, I can come up with the best ideas for my own work.

Coming up with things no one has thought of: I'm contemplating this in many areas, but right now, what I am working to do is devise new ways to reach my students and meet their needs.

Doing different things: I'm seeing myself as an instructional designer. That applies to the environment in my classroom, too. I can't always do what has always been done! It's time for innovation.

Using imagination: How can I see past the status quo and instead see the possibility? I want to see through the impossibility of a situation and work towards the "what if". That doesn't always mean using technology. That might just mean asking a question in a different way.

I started the discussion hoping my students would be better equipped to write novels. I'm confident I accomplished that. (They each started writing and planning out their plots, characters, etc.) But in the process, I also showed myself a little something.

Now, I've got to keep on working towards it.

No comments:

Post a Comment