Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Save Some Space

The days at school go by so quickly. So many things happening! There are so many tasks that fill my day. But I've learned that I need to keep room in my schedule for those unexpected moments that make me pause and smile.

Example #1:
This week, a former student walked up to me in the hallway and said she had to share something with me.

She said she'd finally found her best reading time at home: half an hour before bedtime. She went on to tell me how calming it felt to read and then sleep. This was after school, in the busy hallway, as kids were going home.

I wasn't expecting this great moment to happen.

Example #2:

At recess one day, four students came to tell me that they were starting a book club. They asked me for a book recommendation. I gave them one, and then the next day, they'd formed a plan on how to get enough copies of the book. They would get one copy at the public library, one from the school library (interlibrary loan), and one from me. According to my math, they needed one more.

I happily told them I'd get them another copy. They walked away, happy as could be!

These moments were sweet and unexpected. As I experienced each one, I thought about what a privilege it was for me to be a part of them. They all were made possible by books---and my unwavering resolve to share good books with young readers.

My days are still filled, but there's always space for an unexpected moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment