Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

THIS IS NOT MY HAT


THIS IS NOT MY HAT--in one word --- is AMAZING.

I shared this picture book with my students recently. It was such a great moment because I witnessed my students' reactions to it. The laughter, the surprise, the delight! They said brilliant things! They saw things I missed. We enjoyed it together. Another strengthening of our classroom community made possible by a book.

 I hope you understand now why this title is so dear to me.

In THIS IS NOT MY HAT, Jon Klassen gives us the story of a very spunky little fish who steals a hat from a big fish. We immediately thought of Bear & Rabbit from I WANT MY HAT BACK (also written and illustrated by Jon Klassen).

It was impossible to capture every thought; but here is some of what they said:

"I really like the book. It made you think when the page had no words."

"This book is awesome. Jon Klassen is an amazing author."

"How did the big fish know his hat was gone?"

"This is very funny. Crab doesn't keep secrets well."

"I think the little fish is kind of dumb & the crab doesn't keep his promises."

"The little fish is crafty."

I didn't need to write any discussion questions for this book. All I needed to do was read and listen. I know we'll read this book again. I wonder what reactions they'll have next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment