On Mondays, I love joining up with Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts. We post our reading for the week, as well as our current reading selections. Keeping up with this regular meme is helping me reach my book goals! My students and I talk about setting goals for ourselves as readers, and I live this in my own reading life, too!
I got really SERIOUS about my reading this week. Even though I'm taking a grad class, and I love what studying/learning, I don't want that to keep me from another love: reading. So in free minutes here and there, I grab a book. I may choose it over other things, and I appreciate every opportunity to sit and enjoy a good book. I count reading time as precious.
Picture Books:
I went on a picture book frenzy this week, so I won't list all the titles here. I will show you my favorites:
I bought this book THE DAY it was released. After reading the first book
(I WANT MY HAT BACK), I found out there would be a second. It's about a fish who steals a hat, and it will generate lots of discussion. Jon Klassen is amazing! I carry this book around with me to teacher meetings so I can "book-talk" it!
Have you ever read a picture book that just brightened the moment? This book did that for me! I read THE BOY WHO WAS RAISED BY LIBRARIANS by Carla Morris. It's about a boy who spends lots of time at the library with three of his favorite people: the librarians! They help him with projects and school, and always answer his questions. It's a lovely book!
I also finished PRAIRIE EVERS by Ellen Airgood. It is a wonderful story about a girl who raises chickens (!) and makes a friend. This friend changes her life. I loved the main character, and I enjoyed the writing. Friendship and family are the themes here. I recommend it!
What I'm currently reading:
I'm currently reading JUNIPER BERRY by M.P. Kozlowsky. Juniper lives in a mansion with movie-star parents, but she's lonely. It's very intriguing so far! I picked it up at the Book Fair, and it seems like the right book for right now.
BOOK GOALS:
I'm very focused on my Goodreads Challenge right now. It's October, and I have until December 31st to reach 600 books. Even though I'm 215 books away, I know I can get there!
CUTE SHOES UPDATE:
Also, one last thing! I bought these SUPER cute holographic TOMS yesterday. My reward to myself for completing my grad assignment early!
What are YOU reading right now?


You just reminded me, I think Juniper Berry is on my to read shelf still. Will have to watch and see what you think.
ReplyDeleteCynthia I have noticed your determination to reach your goal with all of your picture books on Goodreads! Go! I'm rooting for you! I'm going to see Jon Klassen tomorrow evening and will get a signed copy of This is Not my Hat! Can't wait. I really like The Boy who was Raised by Librarians. I read it a few years ago but think I might read it aloud to my class soon. It's a lovely book.
ReplyDeleteOooh, I've been eyeing Juniper Berry for a while now! Looks like another good book to sink into. Can't wait to hear what you think when you finish it. :)
ReplyDelete