Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Running vs. Reading

I love shoes--specifically: cute ones. Shoes with flowers. Shoes with polka dots. Shoes with flowery prints. Shoes with glitz. (See my latest purchase.)




But lately, I have been wearing a pair of running shoes. No bow or print. Just bounce & stride. Here they are:











I started running 9 days ago. (Yes, I am counting.) This is a streak for me, and I am rather proud of myself for sticking to this. I only skipped a day because of a late committee meeting.

Yes, I used this experience to be a better teacher.

I shared my progress with my students and they applauded for me! That felt great!
But what I want them to know is that I do things that are difficult for me, and that I will keep trying! I'm a good reader, so meeting reading goals isn't difficult. But meeting a running goal is different.

Setting this challenge for myself is helping me understand my learners. How do I feel about doing something that is difficult for me? What conditions make it possible for me to be motivated to improve? Can I persevere through something that doesn't come easily?

Running is helping me feel better, and it's also helping me understand my students. I will do my best to stick to my newest challenge! There's no turning back now!





 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're still running! I look forward to hearing more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I think it's important for students to know that teachers have goals. Running gets easier everyday, as long as I don't try to compare myself to my students on my cross country team! They are so much faster!

    ReplyDelete