Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Edcamps: A Great Place to Learn!

I went to my first Edcamp because the integration specialist at my campus recommended it.  She is someone who always has great ideas, so I followed her advice!



Edcamps are informal conferences where teachers share ideas. Anyone who wants to share a good lesson, tech tool, or strategy signs up on a board. There's no worry about having handouts or a full presentation ready. You can sign up that day to present. Or not! You can attend whatever sounds good to you, and then, if it isn't the right fit for you, you can try another session. It's all free!

The energy at Edcamps is contagious. Everyone there is an eager learner-- ready to exchange ideas. Attendees gain the benefit of everyone else's practice. People are willing to talk and answer questions. You can start great conversations over coffee or lunch. Plus you can also win some great door prizes at the end!


This past Saturday, I attended Edcamp Dallas--my third Edcamp. What an amazing day!  I met up with friends from Twitter, and we talked like we'd known each other forever. I connected with new people, too, and I was inspired by many. (These connections will continue!) I had lunch with a great group of teachers who are my new friends. I even presented! (I didn't think I would, but others encouraged me, so I gave it a try.) Even though I'd had a long week, I felt energized because I knew I was picking up some new ideas AND sharing something that meant a lot to me (classroom blogging).
If you look around at the people at an Edcamp, everyone looks happy to be there!  This is the big AHA moment of Edcamp for everyone. Shouldn't our students also feel this way about school? We should do everything we can to offer this same environment for students.

I woke up early on a Saturday to attend, and I had lots of other things to do (like a grad school assignment or two). But what I learned will end up saving me so much more time later. What I learned will make my classroom an even better place. I couldn't afford NOT to go. I would have missed out on so much!

So the next time you hear of an Edcamp in your area, check it out!

Have you been to an Edcamp before? I'd love to hear about your experience!

1 comment:

  1. CA, It was sooooooooo great to meet you! It made my DAY to see you grab the tee as your door prize!!! :) thanks for a great post that communicates exactly how we wanted #edcampdallas to come across!

    ReplyDelete