On Monday, I join up with Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts where we talk about what we've been reading for the past week. Teachers and librarians read a lot!
This week, I hit two milestones in my reading:
- I reach my goal marker of 400 books for the year. I'm more than halfway towards my calendar year goal of 600 books.
- I FINALLY finished Divergent. (DIVERGENT is an exciting, well-written YA novel. I only had trouble finishing it because I stopped a lot to read middle grades and picture books.) By the way, this is NOT for my --or any-- elementary library!
After reading some picture books this week, I am picking out two of the best. Not surprisingly, they are BOTH by Eve Bunting.
- GHOST's HOUR, SPOOK's HOUR: A really wonderful picture book about a boy who talks his way through a scary night with the help of his dog and finds comfort with his parents.
- DANDELIONS: Another great picture book! This one is told from the point of view of a young girl whose family is off to blaze the pioneer trail and start a new life.
I'm reading JUNIPER BERRY by M.P. Kozlowsky now. It's a good middle grade book, but I'll write more about it when I'm finished!
What I'm rereading:
My students and I are participating in the Global Read Aloud of 2012. Our book is THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN by Katherine Applegate. As I read this aloud to my class, I'm appreciating its goodness all over again. My students are hooked on this book, and they want me to read it all the time! One of the things I've noticed is that I don't need to write/develop any discussion questions for our reading. My students bring up some great observations that send us off on terrific discussions. As is often the case, the students develop much better questions than I could have ever written. It's the very same thing that happened with THIS IS NOT MY HAT (see previous post).
What I WILL read this week:
My plan is to delve into THE RAVEN BOYS (also YA) since I started it this summer. But as is the case with my reading preferences, I never know where the week will take me.
What are you reading this week?

Your reading sounds like my reading. I've started Raven Boys & keep having to stop because I'm reading other things. Your two books look so sweet, will need to look for them. And I think we have Juniper Berry at school-it looks good too. Thank you, Cynthia!
ReplyDeleteCynthia Congratulations on all of your reading! I have seen picture books galore in my Goodreads feed from you so know you have been busy reading. Raven Boys is great. I'm past the half way mark. We just had a power outage and my daughter and I read for an hour by late afternoon light and then flashlight. Loved the opportunity to delve into the book. Divergent is staring at me on my shelf. I think I might try and read it over the winter break when I can read it in just a few days!
ReplyDeleteI'm so inspired by your blog and the books you share! I teach a class of 5th graders that seem to have read everything. I will be purchasing The One and Only Ivan for one of my Literature Circle groups (that will be passed around from there!). Do you have other books that are your FAVORITES that would be good for this age group (and even for gifted 5th graders)?
ReplyDelete