Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



It's Monday and that means it's time for me to join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts in their weekly meme. We blog about books we read over the week, and there are always some wonderful titles shared.

Here's what I read this week:

 
Endangered by Eliot Schrefer
Tribes by Seth Godin
Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin
Moving Day by Robert Kalan
The Chicken Problem by Jennifer Oxley and Billy Aronson
 
Endangered is an intense and thrilling YA novel about a teen in the Congo who does whatever she can to save herself and the bonobo she is caring for. The country is war-torn and she must survive against every obstacle. Exciting! (Not for my classroom library, though!)
 
Tribes is a good book about innovation and leadership and how they work together. Seth Godin's book is a quick read and very insightful.
 
The rest of the books are picture books. Pete the Cat's latest book is fun as always! But my favorite is The Chicken Problem (which involves chickens, pie, and math). I highly recommend it! My students loved it.
 
What I'm reading now:
 
The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (which is EXCELLENT).
Ungifted by Gordon Korman (Just started this one).
Day-to-Day Assessment in the Reading Workshop by Franki Sibberson and Karen Szymusiak (A GREAT book for those of us who use Reader's Workshop. Lots of practical ideas!)
 
I'm proud of how much I read this week. I hope I can keep it up. I'm 187 books away from my yearly goal. Can I do it?
 
Setting the goal of 600 books back on January 1st was a key moment in my reading life. That is the highest goal I've ever had, and the first time I set one for a full year. I realized that because of that goal, I've stayed focused. I've been quick to remember to bring a book with me wherever I go, and on slow reading weeks, I always re-evaluated and caught up. Even with grad school, I'm determined to keep up my reading. It's not easy, but it's possible.
 
Reading goals help my students, too. We set these goals together sometimes, but now they are learning to set their own.
 
What are YOU reading this week? Do you set reading goals?
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I am rooting for you with his goal! This is the first year I have set a reading goal and I find it very motivating. I chose 300 books and in about February quickly upped it to 500. Now I am thinking of increasing it for next year. It is one of the most fun goals I have ever worked on! I want to read The Chicken Problem! Looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for your progress with your goal! Publicly setting a goal, especially with your students is so powerful. I'm always impressed with how you juggle it all with work and school. I'm definitely going to need to check out The Chicken Problem--what fun!

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete