It's Monday. Although I was attending my first NCTE conference this week, I did get some reading done on my flights. That's what I love about traveling.
Most weeks, I join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts in their Monday meme. Teachers, librarians and book friends share the books that they have been reading, and it's a great way to get book titles.
Here's what I read this past week:
JANGLES by David Shannon (picture book)
- I loved this picture book, and listening to David Shannon talk about it was one of the best parts of NCTE. Thanks to Scholastic and the Children's Literature Assembly!
JULIE OF THE WOLVES by Jean Craighead George (Newbery Challenge)
- In trying to restart my Newbery Challenge, I read this book on the flight to NCTE. (It won the Newbery in 1973.) I appreciated the main character's determination and courage. The story made me think about how I would survive in such circumstances. (I would consider this a young adult novel.)
DAY-TO-DAY ASSESSMENT IN THE READING WORKSHOP by Franki Sibberson and Karen Szymusiak (professional development)
- I finished this one on the flight home. This is an excellent resource for someone using Reader's Workshop. The authors give us insight into their thinking and planning. One of the best parts is the section on read-alouds and the use of reader's responses. I highly recommend it!
What I'm reading now:
I'm currently reading PINNED (YA) by Sharon G. Flake.
Also, I'm reading Book Love by Penny Kittle (professional development).
I'm really excited to finally have this title in my hands! I bought it at NCTE.
So many great things happened at NCTE that I will have to post about them tomorrow!
What are you reading right now?


Jangles sounds interesting, & I so want to have a copy of Book Love-so many good books to read! Hope you had a good time at NCTE-I'm hoping to go next year!
ReplyDelete