Exercise has never been easy for me. I took aerobics classes, Jazzercise, step classes, etc. I've done Tae Bo and the Jane Fonda. Nothing stuck. And, though I know that exercise is good for me, I could never make exercise a permanent part of my life. I admire people who have conquered this. It's something I've always wanted to do.
How different the experience is for me when it comes to reading! Even if I have a challenging book about an unfamiliar topic, I get through it relatively unscathed. And when I love a book, I read it very quickly. I'm challenged by bookstacks, motivated to tackle them, and usually do so without much effort.
At our Field Day at school the other day, my lack of athleticism was painfully evident. I was asked to participate in the scooter races on the track, and, sadly, every 4th grader reached the finish line before I did! Wheeling myself was a struggle! Halfway through, I began to feel powerless. I was trying hard, but I wasn't succeeding. Some sweet 4th graders took pity on me and encouraged me as I managed to reach the end. "Good job!" one student said. Her compassion made my heart smile.
The moment was forgotten by most (I think). Field Day went on, and the students had a great time. But the scooter memory remained with me. I felt so very defeated.
Then the realization hit. Is this how struggling readers feel when they try to read a book that's difficult for them? Do they feel powerless, too? How do they get to the finish line? How do they feel when they get there? Do all of them reach the end?
I started running on the treadmill this weekend. I want to feel better. I want to be healthier. I want to be able to accomplish something that is difficult--something that no one would expect me to do.
But I also want to understand my students' struggles. I want to do something that's not in my comfort zone so that I can have greater empathy for the students in my class who do struggle with reading, or math, or anything else. I want to be able to encourage them with the right words--the right words that come only because I have been in the same spot.
I hope to stick to my running plan. This time, I have even more reason to do so.
I understand completely! I am the same way. Forced myself to start running in January and it is quite a painful process. The idea that some people find running more relaxing than reading fascinates me completely!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comment, Franki!
ReplyDeleteYes, runners love running, and you are right. . They do seem to love it as much as we love reading. A very good point. Hopefully, I can one day get to the point where I love running, too.
Your blog has been so inspiring!
Don't forget to celebrate the small successes with running! If you do a little better than you did yesterday, feel good! I'm a runner and a teacher too. As you progress, you'll see how much running and teaching are very, very similar! Start small with running, and build from there. Just as we would guide our students to choose "just right books." Choose running goals that are "just right" for you. I promise you'll end up liking running a lot more than you thought you would. :) Happy running and reading!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comment, Regina! This is good advice. I love the comparison you make with 'just right' books, and starting small. That helps make it manageable. I look forward to liking running! Happy running and reading as well! Your encouragement is much appreciated!
Delete