At the end of the year, teachers are ESPECIALLY busy people.
We're trying to complete paperwork. finish up our grading, and fill out checklists.
We're returning library books (which is no easy task for me), making sure our students have turned in all their textbooks, and hoping we remember all those end-of-year special events that occur throughout the day.
But just because the year is ending, it doesn't mean I'm winding down. I started strong, and I'll end it strong, too.
The way I see it, I have my class for four more days, and I don't want to miss out on anything. I want to share with them, and make great memories. I want to create more opportunities for them to discover who they are. Could there be one more book I could share? Could there be one more word someone needs to know? Could we solve one more puzzle or real-world math problem? Is there one more possibility that could be made real for a student in my class? To all these questions my hopeful teacher-self says: "Yes!"
So we're finishing up personal research projects and sharing them with our class. We're making a movie about what 4th grade is all about. (We'll share it with 3rd graders next week.) We're wrapping up a great read-aloud and having great discussions about it. We're still posting to our classroom blog. We're still questioning together and learning new tech tools. We're strengthening friendships and counting how many books we've read as a class (2,247 +) and still wondering things.
I can wind down when I say goodbye on the last day of school, and the last student in line has walked out the classroom door.
I can relax the day after the last day of school, and I wake up late--ignoring my alarm clock.
Right now, I've still got a chance to make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment