It's Monday! I always join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts in a weekly meme where we discuss what we've been reading the past week!
May is always a busy month. There were many demands on my time this past week. The result: I only read TWO books in a 7-day period. I did do a lot of professional reading in preparation for some important school/district meetings, though!
Here are the two books I read:
EYE OF THE STORM by Kate Messner
Published: March 13th, 2012
Publisher: Walker & Co.
Eye of the Storm is a suspense-filled science adventure. It takes place in the future. Jaden attends a science camp owned by her father, and while she is there she uncovers some very interesting secrets about his company's projects. In this time, tornadoes and bad storms are an everyday happening. (As with Kate Messner's Marty McGuire series, this book is filled with science!) Jaden tries to figure things out and along the way she learns about herself. I loved her character because she is smart and strong! This story has lots of interesting plot twists. It's great for middle grade to YA--and I especially recommend it to anyone who loves science!
A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban
Published: Sept. 1, 2007
Published by: Houghton Mifflin
This is a WONDERFUL book. Zoe is the main character, and her life is far from perfect. She has a dream to play the piano! Instead, she gets an organ. She makes the best of it, learning to play TV theme songs. Her family and friends are interesting characters, helping her along the way. The story is very endearing and sweet, and I cheered (and cried!) for Zoe. Read this book as soon as you can!
Here's what I hope to read this week:
Earthling by Mark Fearing
My librarian picked up this ARC for me at TLA. I love graphic novels.
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
(I loved Bud, Not Buddy and Mighty Miss Malone---also by Christopher Paul Curtis! If you haven't read these books, read them as soon as possible!)
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
(I've got to get back on track with my Newbery Challenge, and this book was the winner in 1998.)
I find my TBR stack changes from week to week. I can PLAN on reading something, but I change my mind. I usually read what's right for me at the time. It's what I allow my students to do, too.
At this time of year, I'm not letting up on the reading that happens in my classroom either. We are reading independently everyday, and I am still conferring everyday. My students depend on this. So, no matter what assembly or event is scheduled, we STILL read independently for at least 35 minutes.
With end of year assessments and turning in textbooks, I'll need to reward myself--with a cute pair of shoes AND lots of reading.
P.S. Today, I'm wearing my silver TOMS--sparkly and comfy!
Happy reading!

oooo, both of the books you read look really good. I like both of those authors. A coworker's son read my ARC of Earthlings and really enjoyed it. Elijah of Buxton and Out of the Dust are two excellent books. I hope you enjoy them. I know what you mean about reading different books than you planned on. My moods change daily and sometimes I just feel like reading different books than I thought I would want to when I posted what I would read on my blog!
ReplyDeleteI just got Out of the Dust and Crooked Kind of Perfect this last week from my book swap! It will be a while before I get to OOTD, as I'm trying for the Newberys in order, but with your recommendation, I'll move Crooked Kind of Perfect up in the TBR
ReplyDeleteEye of the Storm and Crooked Kind of Perfect are both great. I loved thinking about the parents/parenting in Crooked Kind of Perfect. So good. And I have Earthling but a student borrowed it before I could read it! Now I have to wait. :(
ReplyDeleteOut of the Dust is one of those books where I can respect the talent, but I personally could not get into it. I think I'm in the minority there, though :P
ReplyDeleteI am a big fan of Christopher Paul Curtis. Have you read Watsons Go to Birmingham? One of my favorites.
Maria @ novalibrarymom.com
I LOVE "Long Way from Chicago". Have you ever read that one? And there is a sequel too. They are by Richard Peck.
ReplyDeleteFound you on the 4th grade blog list on Teaching Blog Addict. I'm your newest follower. Would love for you to check out my bog.
Summyr
http://theteachaholic.blogspot.com
I loved "Out of the Dust." I did a lesson with 8th graders in conjunction with their history lesson about the Dust Bowl. It was really hard for them, especially as kids from Florida, to understand what it was like for people in those circumstances.
ReplyDelete