Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Maurice Sendak: Reflections From 4th Grade


When I heard that Maurice Sendak passed away this week, the news came from Twitter. I immediately thought of Where the Wild Things Are. I couldn't remember the last time I'd read it.

I didn't have a copy of the book available, so I sent a student down to the library to check it out. Not only did I want to reread this book for myself, but I wanted to read it to my class as well.

I held it up during Reader's Workshop. Most of my students said they'd read the book, or that it had been read TO them many times. Some noticed that prestigious gold sticker on the cover and said, "Look!" Since we'd had a mock Caldecott in January, they could spot that sticker from miles away.  "Yes, this book won the Caldecott in 1964," I said. "OH!!!" came the collective, awestruck response.

So I read the story aloud. And, then in a flood, I remembered the best things about it.  I remembered Max and his wolf suit, the private boat, and, of course, the wild things. . I remembered the wild rumpus, and how Mom left supper for Max that night.

But I wanted to know what my students would remember. Here are their reflections:

"No matter how old you are, you can always enjoy a nice children's book."

"There is no reason not to love this book."

"I love this book because everything about it is good and well-written."

"Older people are role models for young people."

"This book made me think this: Always use your imagination, and always dream!'

"Thanks, Mrs. Alaniz! I forgot all about this book!"

"I wish Max had stayed with the wild things."

"I always thought Max should have stayed with the wild things a little longer."

"I think Max was brave to go back to his mom."

"I will remember that Max went home to see his mom."

I was so proud to read their thoughts. I almost started to feel ownership of them. Then I realized it: the credit all went to Mr. Sendak. Once again, his words engaged readers. Once again, he'd made children feel important and special with a story they could love.

I know he's been remembered a lot this week by people much more important than me.
But now I'm remembering him.

Thank you, Mr. Sendak.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your students' thoughts, Cynthia. I loved reading this book to my students a long time ago, and your post brought back happy memories.

    What delightful comments your students made! You obviously do a great job of teaching them to love literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Mr. Price. It is my goal to create a community of lifelong, voracious readers. We connect through books!

      I very much appreciate your thoughful comment on my blog today!

      Delete