The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Monday, May 28, 2012
It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
Every Monday. I love to join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts where we blog about what we've read the previous week. It's a great way to review my reading habits!
What I read this week:
My students really love graphic novels, and I do, too! Here are the GNs we love, and they all come in a series!
Babymouse by Matt and Jenni Holm
Squish by Matt and Jenni Holm
Lunch Lady by Jarrett Krosoczka
Fangbone by Michael Rex
Jellaby by Kean Soo
Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi
Knights of the Lunch Table by Frank Cammuso
Binky the Space Cat by Ashley Spires
But I found a new book that's set to be published this July. My wonderful school librarian shared this ARC with me, and I am so glad she did.
Earthling by Mark Fearing
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Publication date: July 2012
Bud is a nine-year-old who finds himself trapped in space! He's the new kid at the Cosmos Academy and he's there because he caught the wrong bus. But he makes friends with a space alien and together they face all sorts of adventures as they try to get Bud back home to Earth. There is so much action in this book! I finished the book pretty quickly because I wanted to see what would happen next. I think my students will really like this graphic novel! The ARC I read had black and white pages and I still enjoyed it. The ARC says that the final copy will be in color, so I can only imagine how fun it will be to read.
Close to Famous by Joan Bauer
Published by: Viking
Published: Feb. 3, 2011
Winner of the Schneider Family Book Award (2012)
I also read Close to Famous by Joan Bauer (this is a young adult novel so it's not for my classroom.) Foster is a middle-school girl with a dream: to one day have her own cooking show. She is a talented baker who brings cupcakes and muffins wherever she goes. She and her mother have to move away quickly, and as they find their way to a better life, they make some very interesting friends. I think I loved this book so much because I loved Foster and her determination! (Read the book to see what other challenges she faces!) I really enjoyed her enthusiasm.
This books deals with serious issues--and it will touch you and break your heart like good books do. It's been a while since I've read a book like this one.
What I'm reading now:
The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
Published by Walden Pond Press
Published: May 1st, 2012
I started reading this a few weeks ago, but I didn't get too far into it. With the three-day weekend, I'm planning to finish it. It's a really funny book about the Princes in the lives of Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, and Sleeping Beauty. How much do we really know about them? It's filled with good stories and humor, and I am enjoying it so far. There are so many good lines in this book, too.
My reading plans:
With four more days of school to go, and lots of packing to do (we are getting new carpet so I have to box stuff up), I know reading time will be limited. But I also know that I'm a determined reader who will find time to enjoy a book somewhere!
How are you fitting in reading time with the end of the school year?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have Hero's Guide on my stack. Looks too fun. Looks too long to start the last week of school bug hopefully early in the summer!
ReplyDeleteGreat books! Hero's Guide is so funny and overall is a great book!
ReplyDeleteClose to Famous is one of my summer #bookaday plans.
Loved your list of GNs and cannot wait to read Earthling.
Happy reading this week! :)
I really enjoyed Close to Famous too! Foster is a great character. Hero's Guide is on my to-read list. I've heard such sensational things. Lent Earthling to a coworker's 8 year old son, and he loved it.
ReplyDelete