I ordered this book last November because I'd heard so many great things about it:
OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW by Kate Messner
But for some reason, I never got my copy. I kept getting notices that it had been back-ordered or something or other, so finally, I just cancelled my order.
But that didn't feel right--- I knew I was supposed to read it!
In the meantime, I'd read two other books by Kate Messner: Marty McGuire and Sugar and Ice (both of which I loved).
Then, a couple of weeks ago, I walked into my school library (probably to check out a book) and there, on the new books cart, I saw IT. I froze in my personalized Toms slip-ons.
Motionless.
I practically screamed.
When I spot a book I've been wanting, I just get so happy. It's the same feeling I get when one of my students says or does something particularly wonderful/insightful, or when I find a pair of great shoes in my size. . and on sale. .
The happiness is indescribable. .and only book readers like me can appreciate it.
Back in the library, my wonderful librarian wasn't alarmed with my subdued expression of joy because she was used to me being book happy!
So, I was the first person to check it out. I didn't even give her time to put it on the shelf.
And I loved it.
It is a wonderful picture book that shows the world above and under the snow . It's filled with rich sentences like this: "Over the snow, the fire crackles, and sparks shoot up to the stars." Or like this: "Under the snow, a black bear snores, still full of October blueberries and trout." Beautiful, right?
While you are reading a good story, you're also really getting a science lesson about the 'subnivean zone' . (This is in the the author's note which is packed with very interesting facts.) The illustrations are beautifully done by Christopher Silas Neal. Each page adds a layer of learning.
I know it's April, but I plan to share this book with my class now because it's wonderful. Order it now so you'll have it for winter!
***********************************************************************
This week, I'm continuing with poetry! I plan to collect everyone's poems in a podcast to share with our school. This goes right along with my focus on curriculum design. What can I do to increase the level of engagement in my class? I want my students to leave a legacy (as Alan November says). We need to create things that mean something to someone! (Hint: Worksheets won't do!)
***********************************************************************
No comments:
Post a Comment