
Ever since I began this teaching/book blog, I have worried about having enough to write about! But I blog anyway because I know blogging is my way of contributing content to the world--rather than just consuming it.
On Mondays, though, I worry less about what to write because I link up with Teach Mentor Texts (Jen and Kellee) on their Monday meme.
And that's a comforting thing!
My reading was a little lighter this week. I finally finished Accidental Adventure #1: We Are Not Eaten By Yaks by C. Alexander London. It definitely is an adventure!
It reminded me of the Lemony Snicket books.
My students and I were mostly reading poetry books this week because we started celebrating Poetry Month a little early! (We're writing poetry this week, and I look forward to it.)
I managed to read Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes before I shared it with my class. It's the funny seventh installment in the graphic novel by series by Jarrett J. Krosoczka. I loved it!
Then I settled in for the weekend and read these books:
I really loved this book. It celebrates nerdiness! It's about a boy who goes to a summer camp for gifted students. The main character learns that being yourself is what you're supposed to be! I'm a nerd, so this book really appealed to me.
Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
I loved this book, too. It reminded me of Wonder in a way because of the different viewpoints in each chapter and the challenges the students face. It's about a special teacher and his impact on his class. I think it's more for middle school than upper elementary. I couldn't put it down. I love to read books about teachers and school.
Then I headed to the library and checked out (and read) these picture books:
Along a Long Road by Frank Viva
Bailey by Harry Bliss
Zoozical by Judy Sierra
Bed Hog by Georgette Noullet
The Big Wish by Carolyn Conahan
Sea of Dreams by Dennis Nolan
Library Lily by Gillian Shields
Homer the Library Cat by Reeve Lindbergh
My favorite of all of these was Along A Long Road by Frank Viva. It's a very unique picture book with a simple story. Very memorable.
Now I am reading Jellaby By Kean Soo. It's a very interesting graphic novel that a fellow 4th grade teacher recommended. My library only had the first one so I'll have to wait to read the second one. I'll blog about that one!
Have a great week of reading!
Kellee just read and reviewed the first two Jellaby books. They look cute. Nerd Camp looks like fun and if Mr. Terrupt is like Wonder then maybe I would like it! I'm rereading Wonder right now, the audio is excellent so far. Love it.
ReplyDeleteSo glad It's Monday is a comfort to you. I like having a few consistent types of posts to do every week. It helps when planning what to blog. :)
You would love Wonder. I think any teacher would. There are some great opportunities for discussion here among teachers.
DeleteI should reread Wonder. That would be a good idea. Thanks for stopping by my little blog and commenting!
First time visiting here! I was a 4th and 5th grade language arts teacher in my past life. Now I stay home with my own two kiddos and blog about children's lit instead of teaching it in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteAlso? A total shoe fanatic.
novalibrarymom.com
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThanks for stopping by, Maria! I will be sure to visit your blog, too.
DeleteI'm always either on the hunt for a good book or a nice pair of shoes.
I know you can understand!
Happy reading!
Enjoy Jellaby http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/03/jellaby-jellaby-monster-in-city.html#axzz1qwZC05ZD
ReplyDeleteI really liked the graphic novels and I am so upset they are out of print.
Your pile of picture books looks great- some fun titles there.
Happy reading this week! :)
What? Jellaby is out of print! Please say it's not so. I just found them.
ReplyDeleteThat explains why they aren't in the stores.
Thanks for letting me know, and for commenting on my little blog, Kellee! I appreciate your encouragement and time!