On Mondays, I love to join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts by linking up to their great meme and blog.
Here's what I read this week:
Graphic Novels:
Jellaby: Monster in the City by Kean Soo
Around the World by Matt Phelan
This book is a trio of true stories about adventurers who set out to travel around the globe: Thomas Stevens (bicycle with a big front wheel), Joshua Slocum (sailboat), and Nellie Bly (who is determined to travel around the world in 80 days). Their stories are told in graphic novel format with some pages of solid text. I learned a lot from this book, and the stories were very interesting. Matt Phelan's work here as author/illustrator is very impressive. I want to read more about these explorers!
Picture Books:
Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire by Jane O'Connor
Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy by Jane O'Connor
Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly! by Jane O'Connor
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems
On Friday after school, I sat in our school library and read these books. They were quick, fun reads, and it was a perfect start to my weekend! I think the Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire book is great for National Poetry Month. Check it out!
I also read the YA novel See You At Harry's by Jo Knowles! I will write about this one in next week's post.
I am still reading Opening Minds by Peter H. Johnston. It's one of those books in which regular stops are necessary for the reader. I pause every couple of pages to process my thoughts. I am so very aware now of the dialogue in my classroom. Conversations are an opportunity for more learning.
What will I read this week?
I've checked out Chomp by Carl Hiaasen, and, of course, there are my TBR piles.
Happy reading to all of you!

Around the World sounds inspiring! I think graphic novel format is a great way to share biographies. Students seem drawn to graphic novels, having them explore adventurers like Bly is perfect! I will look for this one on the shelf at my local library!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog today! I hope you find Around the World at the library. My students are really fans of the graphic novel genre. I buy as many as I can.
DeleteHappy reading! I look forward to sharing more books with you!
I loved Around the World. Nellie Bly is one of my heroes.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read what you write about See You at Harry's. I've heard wonderful things about that novel, but everyone who has read it has said it made them cry!
See You At Harry's made me cry, too. But do read it! It is an unforgettable book.
DeleteI want to read more about Nellie Bly!
Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Happy reading!
With two girls at our house, Fancy Nancy is a staple--love her and all her flaws! I too found the Matt Phelan book super interesting and a great format. I think I need to move See You At Harry's up in my TBR . . . lots of people seem to be enjoying that one.
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog today! I really appreciate it!
DeleteI thought Around the World was such a clever book. I didn't know what I had gotten into until I was midway through the book, and then I was glad I was there. Great way to tell a biography!
I'll be anxious to hear what you think of See You At Harry's. It was a quick finish. Meaningful, too.
I look forward to sharing more books with you! Thanks again for visiting!
Around the World looks interesting! I like the blend of graphic novel and full text format. And you can never go wrong with Knuffle Bunny. He remains my favorite Mo Willems character.
ReplyDeleteMaria @novalibrarymom.com