I really love cupcakes. I think they are the most perfect dessert ever. Small and sweet, they always come in the prettiest colors, too. So when I saw this book at the library, it got my attention.
Isn't the cover pretty?
The Magic Cake Shop by Meika Hashimoto
Published: Oct. 25, 2011
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Really, the book got my attention because it was in the new books section of my local library, and it looked like it could be an interesting middle grade book. I read it in one day. It's part fantasy, part adventure. It's about a girl with spoiled parents who never let her eat anything tasty! She's sent to live with her mean uncle and while she is with him, she comes across Mr. Crackle's Cake Shop--a place of heavenly tasting treats. This is where the adventure starts! I have some readers in my class who will love this book! It reminded me of PIE by Sarah Weeks.
I've been waiting to read this picture book for weeks! I ordered it, and it finally came in.
C.R. Mudgeon by Leslie Muir (illustrated by Julian Hector)
Published: March 6, 2012
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
I really loved this book! It's about a hedgehog set in his ways. He's a creature of habit and does the same thing every day. He likes order. Then Paprika moves in next door. She's a squirrel, and she shakes things up with her music, and her lively, fun ways! The book is about friendship and how change can be a good thing! Julian Hector's illustrations are so wonderful, too!
My next read? I'm not sure! Check my blog tomorrow to find out.
Magic Cake Shop looks delicious! Glad to learn about it, thanks. Hoping I can partner it with Candy Shop Wars by Brandon Mull or Candymakers by Wendy Mass... both have a little fantasy. My personal favorite cupcake book is It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder, that one is a fantastic realistic fiction- middle reader book.
ReplyDeleteOh,I'm definitely going to get It's Raining Cupcakes. Thanks for that!
ReplyDeleteYes, Magic Cake Shop would go great with Candy Shop Wars! Lots of fantasy in both. .and it does remind me of Candymakers, too. That's a good little trip right there! Awesome!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. Happy reading! :)