This book isn't a new release. It's been out since January 17th of this year. But The One and Only Ivan seems to be the title I am consistently recommending to anyone looking for a quality middle grade book. Ivan is first in my mind. . along with another book I will blog about later.
I read it as soon as I could get a copy. I'm not sure if it was on Jan. 17th or not. Sometimes my bookstore doesn't have the new releases on release day. Sometimes I have to wait for a book (something I don't like to do). I read it in two sittings, and I cried in both. I was affected enough by the book to feel like I needed to share it with others.
In February, I blogged about about Ivan and in my post I was torn between sharing it with individual readers or making it my next read-aloud. I decided to let it be passed around, and it's been read/loved by more than half of my class. I've also shared it with my grade level book club. Students exchange thoughts about it on Edmodo--saying things like "You have to read this book!" and " I LOOOOVEED this book!" When 4th graders are recommending a book to others, adults should take notice.
Ivan is a gorilla who lives in an arcade. People pay to come see him. He's used to that. He has friends (Stella and Bob), and he's grown accustomed to not thinking about his family or his previous life.
But Ruby (a baby elephant) comes along and things change. Through this new tender heart, Ivan sees his existence in a new way. Don't new friends do that for us? Doesn't a new person in our midst cause us to look at our lives in a fresh way?
It's a novel told in verse. Words are skillfully assembled here. Katherine Applegate makes us feel what Ivan feels with beautiful language like this:
"In my new life as a human, I was well-tended. I ate lettuce leaves with Thousand Island dressing, and caramel apples and popcorn with butter. My belly ballooned.
But, hunger, like food, comes in many shapes and colors. At night, lying alone in my Pooh pajamas, I felt hungry for the skilled touch of a grooming friend. . ."
This book is cleverly structured. It is art with story and syllable. It creates a moving image in your mind that engages your heart, too.
Buy two or three copies. You'll give one away, share one, and keep one for yourself. Just save yourself the figuring-out of this. I've done it for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment